1. Be on time to all rehearsals. If you are going to miss a rehearsal, inform your instructor well in advance. It is your responsibility to know when and where rehearsals are. Check the calendar on the web site; ask your instructor for the login and password.
2. Arrive at rehearsals prepared and ready to rehearse. Start and end on time. Know and understand the objectives/goals for each rehearsal. If you don't know, ask!
3. Swearing and abusive language will not be tolerated. Rehearse and perform professionally. You have the right to expect the same professionalism from the instructional staff.
4. You are a role model for other corps members. Remember that fact at all times. Other corps members will act and behave as they see you act and behave. This role model responsibility applies at all times -- on the rehearsal/performance field and off.
5. Set high standards for yourself. Ensure that you know and understand the Corps Director's and Instructional Staff's expectations for the year. If you don't know their expectations, you will not meet or exceed them.
6. Smoking and/or vaping in front of other corps/staff members is not acceptable. This includes rehearsals, performances, bus rides, and any other functions associated with the corps. Most of the schools and facilities at which we stay/perform are tobacco-free campuses. Please respect their regulations.
7. Alcohol use at any time is not allowed. This includes rehearsals, performances, bus rides and any other functions associated with the corps. Most of the schools and facilities at which we stay/perform are alcohol-free campuses. Please respect their regulations. A violation will result in dismissal from the corps.
8. Illegal drug use at any time is not allowed. This includes rehearsals, performances, bus rides, and any other functions associated with the corps. All of the schools and facilities at which we stay/perform are drug-free campuses. A violation will result in dismissal from the corps.
9. Take care and respect your uniform, your equipment and your rehearsal/housing facilities. If something needs repair, please advise an instructor, a support staff member, or the director. No climbing fences. Leave the premises cleaner than when we arrived.
10. Treat other corps members as you would like to be treated. Respect their personal needs and requests. This awareness applies to rehearsals, sleeping areas, and the bus. Tolerance is paramount. Ensure that your relationships with others include no inappropriate behavior. If you have a concern with someone, please advise the director for further support or action. Hazing and bullying will NOT be tolerated in the Mandarins.
11. Stealing is not tolerated in the Mandarins. Taking property belonging to other people, the Corps, or to our practice/housing sites, etc. will be dealt with severely.
12. Treat your Drum Major, sectional heads, instructional staff, support staff, drivers, boosters, other corps, parents and fans with respect. Support staff, drivers, chaperones, etc., volunteer their time your benefit; most of them work full time and often use vacation time for the benefit of the Corps. Treat them with appreciation and respect for the dedicated work they perform. When you need their help, be courteous and ask politely.
13. Remember that any unhappiness or anger with other corps' behavior is dealt with at the Director level. Corps members and parents may be tempted to log on to newsgroups and forums to complain about others, but this is NOT the way the Mandarins do business. Don't dishonor the Mandarins' good name by posting negative comments that can be interpreted as representing the Mandarins organization's opinion. Don't start flame wars, even if you think you're right. If you have nothing nice to say, then don't say it. Staff is serious about protecting the Mandarins' reputation.
14. Leave nothing to the last minute. Plan ahead of time to get things done.
15. You represent the Mandarins at all times. It doesn't matter where you are -- rehearsals, performances or other non-corps related functions. If someone knows you are a member of the corps, then you represent the entire organization. Make that action happen with pride and class!
16. Failure to adhere to the Mandarins Code of Conduct could lead to your dismissal from the corps and a forfeiture of your tour and participation fees.