Mandarins Music Academy
The mission of the Mandarins Music Academy is to create scholar musicians by inspiring children to a life-long love of music. We do this by “Giving the Gift of Music” to children in elementary, after-school band programs.
Numerous studies have shown that students benefit greatly from instrumental music education early in their lives. It improves reading and verbal skills, mathematical and spatial reasoning, teaches a foreign language, makes them better listeners, strengthens motor cortex, improves memory, helps manage anxiety, enhances confidence and self-esteem, improves creativity and it is a ton of fun!
Our Mandarins Music Academy is provided as an after- or before-school program at elementary schools across the region.
- Our curriculum is what we call a “2 of 8”. The Mandarins Music Academy is considered to be the first two years of a student’s eight year music education. The students will be prepared to bridge successfully to the middle school level and likewise to the high school level. A partnership is created with the middle school and high school band directors to ensure this progression. In our program we use the band method book Sound Innovations.
- Eligible instrumentation: Flute, Clarinet, Alto Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, Percussion.
- The program is designed to have two main performances in the Winter (December) and in the Spring (May). The band may also conduct a performance as a school assembly in May.
- Optional Bandfest with Middle School and High School
Depending on the middle school and high school, we may cooperatively develop a “bandfest” that involves the middle and high school students. For these programs, a single performance piece is rehearsed and all three-band levels play together in a big gym setting.
- Class sessions – The classes are held at the student’s school either before or after the normal school day. So there is no transportation requirements for the student.
School day ends at 2:30
Band Class: 2:30 – 3:15
At the Mandarins Music Academy, we keep costs as low as possible to allow as many students as possible benefit from the program. Our tuition is $150 per half-year. We also have instruments available to rent at $50 per half year.