The first session of the 12th year of Mandarins Academy is already here. Check-in is at 12 noon on Sunday, September 8, with instruction from 12:30-4pm, at Sacramento State’s Capistrano Hall. Once again, Mandarins Academy benefits from the partnership between the Sacramento Mandarins and the Sacramento State School of Music.
In addition to being on the instructional staffs of local middle school, high school, and/or college music programs, Mandarins Academy Directors have the added bonus of their connection to the Mandarins drum corps:
- Marvin Reed, Mandarins Academy Assistant Director and Drum Major Academy Director – current Drum Major Coordinator of the Mandarins drum corps, and a credentialed teacher in the Berkeley Unified School District
- Chris Langton, Brass Academy Director – former brass staff member and former brass member of the Mandarins drum corps, and a credentialed music teacher in the Gold Oak Union School District
- Jeremiah Wade, Guard Academy Director – former guard member of the Mandarins drum corps
- Wade Quinn, Percussion Academy Director – former percussion member of the Mandarins drum corps
- Kalei Cablay, Woodwind Academy Director – former guard staff member and former guard member of the Mandarins drum corps, and a credentialed music teacher in the Lammersville Unified School District
The Directors and their educational staff are committed to the mission of the Mandarins Academy: to further the students’ skills in technique, musicianship, performance, and leadership development, all in support of their school music program. As Directors, they embrace the opportunity to “give back” to the community the achievements and the values from their time with the Mandarins drum corps, now entering its 57th year.
For more information, and to register, click here.
See you on September 8!
Mandarins Academy Director
Former brass staff member and current Brass Analytics staff member of the Mandarins drum corps