Welcome to the Mandarins!
Everything that we do at the Mandarins is focused on our mission: To transform the lives of youth through musical performance.
We started toward this mission when we were founded in 1963. That was a time of racial struggle in America and so our four founders formed the Ye Wah organization to provide a wholesome activity for the Chinese-American Youth in Sacramento. In the beginning our organization served about 50 youth.
Fast forward 50 plus years…
- Mandarins Drum and Bugle Corps is one of the elite finalist corps in Drum Corps International with over 154 members
- Mandarins Entertainment is seen by hundreds of thousands of fans every year, including at Sacramento Kings games, NASCAR races and lots of civic events
- Mandarins Music Academy is “Giving the Gift of Music” to hundreds of elementary school children through our instrumental band programs. This is happening in over a dozen schools in multiple school districts
- Mandarins Academy at Sac State is teaching hundreds of students about leadership and furthering their artform
- Mandarins Bingo continues to provide financial support for the Mandarins programs with one of the region’s longest running bingo halls
The Mandarins exist through the dedication of our staff and the generosity of our volunteers. In total we now serve over 1,000 youth per year through all of our programs. We embrace diversity and inclusion in all of its forms. Our #1 core value is RESPECT and that value has not wavered one bit throughout our history. While the names and faces have changed over the years, our mission remains intact…
To transform the lives of youth through musical performance.
As always, THANK YOU for your support!
Mandarins Alum ’79-’81
Mandarins Parent ’09-’13
Mandarins Volunteer ’05-present