Welcome to a new month, the fantastically cool month of October! Why so cool? Well, typically the weather is cooler than the summer months, and because we are gearing up for the new season. Yep, returning staff has been rehired, new staff has been hired, audition packets are available to be purchased, and audition camp dates posted. But wait, there’s more! The design team has already started their weekly meetings to decide what the 2023 program will look and sound like. That’s right, and it’s only the beginning of October.
I just attended the Fall DCI meetings where the outline of the 2023 tour was finalized — so we can now start our planning process to figure out the where, the how, and the when, of the tour. Spring training logistics (the when and the where) are also already in progress.
- One day audition for color guard on November 19, 2022, in Indianapolis, IN
- One day audition for brass, color guard & percussion on November 20, 2022, in Houston, TX
- Weekend audition camp for brass, color guard, drum majors & percussion December 2 – 4, 2022 in the Sacramento, CA area
- Weekend audition camp for brass, color guard & percussion December 9 – 11, 2022, in Southern California (exact location TBD)
- January 13 – 15, 2023 in the Sacramento, CA area (brass & percussion)
- February 17 -19, 2023 in the Sacramento, CA area (brass only)
- No March camp this year
- April 28 – 30, 2023 in the Sacramento, CA area (full corps)
Spring Training: move-in date is TBD
So, as you can see, there’s lots of activity in progress. Fun, isn’t it? And it truly is fun, watching the new year develop while anticipating what the show will be, gearing up to meet the new corps members, working with the instructional staff, reaching out and finding new volunteers, drivers, and support staff, and working with the President/CEO and Board of Directors to make sure that 2023 will provide the organization with its best drum corps season to date. Take care and… get your Halloween flamingos ready for the 31st!